Chocolate Covered Cherry Thumbprint Cookies takes an old fashioned candy and combines with a simple cookie recipe! This makes for a fun delicious holiday treat!
Click here to save this recipe on Pinterest!
I swear these cookies are not a hot mess! Really, they may look like it but they are in fact so delicious!!!
I don’t know about you but I love chocolate covered cherries! My girls think they taste like cough medicine but I think they are just not fully able to capture the deliciousness of this candy!
What I didn’t know was that you can find the candy either in milk chocolate or dark chocolate and so now I can’t decided which one is my favorite?!!
How to make these cookies:
So making these cookies are pretty simple. I cut my chocolate peppermint thumbprint cookie recipe in half to make a smaller batch but you could definitely double it!
- I added greek yogurt to the cookie recipe but you could use regular yogurt or sour cream.
- It was by accident that I broke the centers of these and I am so glad I did! They looked a little boring before I did it.
- Allow the cookies to sit on your parchment paper until the filling stops to flow. They can be a little messy.
- Make sure to space your cookies out far enough apart so the filling doesn’t run into the other cookies
- You can flash freeze the cookies to stop the centers from flowing.
- You can use this recipe to make these raspberry chocolate thumbprint cookies!
If you’re on Facebook come check out this fun little group I’ve got going on. Instagram is a fun resource I’m using right now. If you make an recipes make sure to tag them #bittersideofsweetrecipes so I can see your creations!
Want to connect more with The Bitter Side of Sweet? Follow at:
- 1/2 stick butter , room temperature
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 20 chocolate covered cherries
- Preheat oven to 375 ℉. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside
- In large bowl add butter, sugar, yogurt and cookie butter. Mix until completely incorporated.
- Add in egg and extra and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Slowly mix in flour and baking powder until dough comes together
- Using a 1 inch cookie scoop, scoop mixture out in balls and place on baking sheet. Roll each ball until smooth. Place a small thumbprint into the center of each ball.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown
- When done remove and wait 2 minutes. Press chocolate covered cherry into the center of each cookie.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Break the center of each chocolate covered cherry.
- Serve and ENJOY!