Summer time means strawberries! Lots of strawberries! I put them to good use with this Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Cake!
Last week I had a birthday. I am offically one year away from the big 4-0. My week kind of started with a big bang and ended that way as well.
What I really wanted to do was just eat cake. So I decided to make myself one. My hubby insisted on going and buying me one and I said no way!
I enjoy making cakes but I just do not do it too often because I really do not need cake lying around my house.
Well this year I jumped at the chance to make my own cake mainly because I wanted to share cake with you all! And so I could eat it. That’s okay, right?
Anyways this cake is pretty basic and simple. I used a boxed cake mix, which I think I decided I am going to start trying to make my cake homemade. That’s for next time though.
This time I used just what I had on hand. A white cake mix. Then I decided I wanted to add strawberries. They are my favorite fruit and I can not get enough of them. Besides I am kind of in love with putting them on top of desserts, like on these pound cake cups.
One thing I would recommend about this cake is not to use a cake mix that has pudding in the mix. It can make the cake crumble and you don’t want that to happen!
I am completely in love with ganache right now! I love making it because it is so easy and the taste is out of this world! You are definitely going to want to try it!
- For the cake:
- 1 18.25 ounce box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- For the frosting:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 12 ounce bag semi sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare two 8 inch round cake pans by spraying the bottom and sides with non stick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In mixer add cake mix, eggs, water and oil. Mix for two minutes.
- Pour evenly into pans and bake for 22-28 mintues or until tooth pick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely, then refrigerate until ganache is finished.
- For the ganache:
- Add butter and heavy cream to a small pot. Allow to come to a boil over medium heat.
- Take off heat and stir in chocolate morsels until completely smooth.
- Cool at room temperature for 1 hour.
- To layer the cake:
- Place one layer on plate. Pour ganache over the first layer. Smooth with spatula. Cover the sides with ganache.
- Place strawberries in a circle on top of the first layer.
- Add second layer. Pour ganache over the second layer. Smooth with spatula. Cover the sides with ganache.
- Top with the remaining strawberries! ENJOY!
More cakes from around the web:
Banana Split Cake from Shugary Sweets
Cherry Upside Down Cake from Love Bakes Good Cakes
Vanilla and Fresh Berry Naked Cake from First Year Blog
Want more cake: